OUR HISTORY

THE STORY

 

Coro was founded in San Francisco in 1942 by W. Donald Fletcher, an attorney, and Van Duyn Dodge, an investment counselor, to train young veterans in the leadership skills necessary to assure that our democratic system of government could more effectively meet the needs of its citizens.

Since 1947, when the first program was delivered, Coro has grown to include Coro Centers in six cities, including San Francisco, Los Angeles (1957), St. Louis (1972), Kansas City (1975), New York (1980), and Pittsburgh (1999).

Between 300-400 participants a year go through Coro programs nationwide.  At least 10,000 program alumni are currently serving as leaders in local, regional and national/global businesses, non-profit organizations, governmental agencies and elected public office.

The four Centers, Programs and licensees, and an alumni service organization, are connected supported and leveraged as a system by Coro National, a 501(c) 3 governing body that serves as the national voice and partner for the regional centers and alumni participants, and works to build capacity for the system and enhance program quality standards and innovation.

Coro is a non-profit, non-partisan educational institute supported by foundations, corporations and individuals.

THE LOGO

 

The Coro logo was created in 1970 by Hisashi Nakamoto. The center part of the “C” is meant to look like an eye to represent the fact that Coro always has its eyes open in public affairs. Yet in spite of being in the center, there is still an opening for exploration and discovery. The “C” also seems to be pointing out in a direction to symbolize a purpose and mission.

The name “Coro” is the creation of its founders. Their vision for a program of educational discovery to prepare citizen leaders was a totally new concept. Thus Coro – a new word and one without association – was invented to represent both discovery and exploration.